Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 11, 2012

 

Well I'm doing my best to be as obedient as I can be.

I think one of the hardest things is to beat pride.  I read a talk by President Uchtdorf about Pride and the Priesthood.  It was touching.

A member from our Branch is letting us borrow his conf. edition of the Ensign because we never got the latest one.  I'm grateful he let us use his.

Last week Elder Greco and I went to a Native American funeral of a less active member of the Church from around here.  He was 40 and had 4 kids.  We were able to speak at the funeral, we were invited to as a matter of fact, and it was a good experience.  This man passed away on my birthday.  I mentioned that in my remarks.  His mother's name is Delma Fox, and she reminded me of you a little bit and Aunt Janae.  She is nice.  And here sister in law was named Mildred(grandma's name), and she is an active member of the church and we got to know her.  It was a cool, and interesting experience.   Their funerals are a bit different that the way we normally see, but quite similiar.  They have what is called a Wake, and that is like the viewing.  They feed everyone, and they stay up/awake all night and with the body.  We left at 9:30pm.  Then the next day is the service where we spoke, and the burial.  We were also able to dedicate the grave and bless it at that time.  I was grateful to been able to do that.  There was a big bunch of people throughout all this.  After the service everyone goes back and is fed again. They gave us tons of food. And they give out blankets to certain people. A lot of blankets.  We had the honor and opportunity to receive blankets.  I'll probably send it home soon.

There are going to be some big changes here in the Branch.  The area, because of the oil boom has grown so much they are spitting the branch here. So the Natives will have a smaller branch here, and many of the people up north will have their own.  On Sunday, most of the people in attendance are white people, even though we're smack dad on the Res.  With this change, it will open up the building a lot more, and I hope and pray that the people here, the Natives, will feel much better about coming and worshipping the Lord on the Sabbaths.  This is their right and priviledge.  We hope to help them see that.  The Natives are such nice people, and spiritually powerful too.
Tell Jason Nutt Happy Birthday for me will ya!?  I don't know how you would exactly but if you can please do. Oh, and Smith too. Joshua Smith.  Maybe you can get in touch with their parents or something.
I read a few chapters of Mosiah yesterday and today about King Benjamin and his big exhortation from the tower.  And how we can have a change of heart, and no more disposition to do evil but to do good continually.  To not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably and lovingly.  I'm grateful that is what we can and do, and will have when we live the gospel.  It's my prayer that you can feel my love.
Thanks for the prayers and the love.  I got the card in the mail! I loved it!  Although, there was something fishy about that...... haha. Seeya later, talk to ya later.
Love your Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment